Hello All,

We've finally got around to get a little LTSP up and running.

The hardware we're using is best described as 'from the parts bin' and
we've actually picked a large amount of it up from the hard-rubbish
collections in the local area.

The server is a P233MMX with 128M RAM and terminal (the first of many
;-] ) is a IBM PR 233, with 32M and a low end PCI graphics card, booting
from a Floppy.  The performance is excellent and far beyond what I ever
imagined it could be.  I wouldn't expect this sort of performance from a
standalone Linux workstation.

Anyhow, after much waffle, on to the problem.

After about 5 minutes, the X session is dying.  The log files for
/var/log/messages say the following:

Nov 28 14:23:05 partsbin gdm(pam_unix)[2311]: session closed for user
rodd
Nov 28 14:23:05 partsbin gdm[2311]:
gdm_slave_windows_kill_ioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting
ws002:0
Nov 28 14:23:08 partsbin gnome-name-server[2529]: starting
Nov 28 14:23:08 partsbin gnome-name-server[2527]: starting
Nov 28 14:23:09 partsbin gnome-name-server[2529]: name server starting
Nov 28 14:23:09 partsbin gnome-name-server[2527]: name server was
running on display, exiting

It's a stock standard RH 7.1 box with the necessary changes to get LTSP
up and going.

I'm sure someone's seen this before, but i can't find anything
searching.  Anyone got any ideas?

regards (and congratulations)

Rodd Clarkson

--
If,
in order to defeat the beast of terrorism,