Hello All,

I've found the problem! ;-]

Turns out that my partner in crime (Mike) had overclocked the CPU
without me knowledge and this was causing the problems.  (He's standing
over me saying he overclocked the motherboard, the CPU was underclocked
- I'll believe him.)

I've since smacked him around and just wanted people to know that since
we've fixed the over/under clocking everything is working fantastically.

Congratulations on a great job.

Rodd

Original Message Below:

Hello All,

We've finally got around to get a little LTSP up and running.

The hardware we're using is best described as 'from the parts bin' and
we've actually picked a large amount of it up from the hard-rubbish
collections in the local area.

The server is a P233MMX with 128M RAM and terminal (the first of many
;-] ) is a IBM PR 233, with 32M and a low end PCI graphics card, booting
from a Floppy.  The performance is excellent and far beyond what I ever
imagined it could be.  I wouldn't expect this sort of performance from a
standalone Linux workstation.

Anyhow, after much waffle, on to the problem.

After about 5 minutes, the X session is dying.  The log files for
/var/log/messages say the following:

Nov 28 14:23:05 partsbin gdm(pam_unix)[2311]: session closed for user
rodd
Nov 28 14:23:05 partsbin gdm[2311]:
gdm_slave_windows_kill_ioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting
ws002:0
Nov 28 14:23:08 partsbin gnome-name-server[2529]: starting
Nov 28 14:23:08 partsbin gnome-name-server[2527]: starting
Nov 28 14:23:09 partsbin gnome-name-server[2529]: name server starting
Nov 28 14:23:09 partsbin gnome-name-server[2527]: name server was
running on display, exiting

It's a stock standard RH 7.1 box with the necessary changes to get LTSP
up and going.

I'm sure someone's seen this before, but i can't find anything
searching.  Anyone got any ideas?

regards (and congratulations)

Rodd Clarkson

--
If,
in order to defeat the beast of terrorism,