Has anyone (besides me) tried running Madrake 8.1 as a server.  I have been
running Mandrake 8.0 for quite sometime but after upgrading to 8.1 X would
start on the X terminal but the login screen would not appear.  This seems
very familiar, it seems like I was having this problem when 8.0 wasn't
directly supported but I can remember what it was.  I'm using the same
lts.conf file I was using under 8.0 (it was working there), in fact I can
point it to another server with 8.0 on it and the X terminal comes up fine.
I've compared my hosts... files between the 8.1 and 8.0 boxes and they look
the same.  The only thing I can see different is in the messages log, this is
logged on the 8.1 server when the X terminal comes up.

Oct  7 20:17:53 dave kernel: fh_verify: ltsroot/dev permission failure,
acc=3, error=30