Thank you Asaf, I have finally got LTSP 2.09pre3 working.
It was indeed an NFS problem but not in the way I expected.
Exports was good. NFS server was running.

The boot failed after Doing the pivot_root. This was a command
that runs only after the new root has been mounted over NFS and
yet I was getting server not responding errors.

I downloaded the initrd_kit - this is the tool you use to rebuild
the initial ramdisk and hacked linuxrc with lot of debugging
echos. As I expected, new root was mounted in /mnt, I cound even
cat a file I put there - this I did for confirmation. But it still
failed at pivot_root.

I played with the nfs mount command within the initrd and placed
the additional option as in:
mount -n -o nolock,ro,rsize=1024 192.168.0.254:\opt\ltsp\i386 /mnt

and it worked! My guess is the 8-bit ne1000 NIC I was using has a
limited buffer and the modern NFSes use a large packet size that
somehow overflowed the NIC's buffer. This is only a guess but the
rsize option did the trick.

Siu Yin

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the
convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

--- Begin Message ---

Dear Siu Yin
Please check that your /etc/exports has the following entries:

/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot           192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,
no_root_squash)

Please take care to leave no space between the "0" of network mask and the
first bracket of options or results can be different.

Do a exportfs -ra so that NFS and mount see the changes.
Secondly, before booting your workstation confirm that NFS is up on the
volume that you export.

You can also see if an entry similar to the following exists in /etc/fstab

192.168.0.254:/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot   /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot   nfs ro 0 0

(192.168.0.254 is the server)

Do run a rpcinfo -p and you should see lines containing nfs, mountd, stat,
portmap etc

I assume that the workstation is able to tftp the kernel from the server.
Which kernel are you using?

Hope this helps

Otherwise please let me know if you need help with anything else. The stuff
is still fresh in my mind and i will be able to help you out as much as i
can

Asaf