Why we need a PXE HOWTO. :)

> Why do you use etherboot at all?

 * I may just prefer Etherboot, e.g. if I already have a working
   Etherboot config for other machines.
 * Mostly C, so it can be easily developed by more people.
 * My goal is to flash Etherboot into my boot roms and replace PXE.

> PXE does all you need, at least with the LTSP-2.09pre3 kernel and initrd
> package:

No, it doesn't. I do not question the fact that your system works but
the statement that "PXE does all you need". There seems to be mythology
about what PXE actually is. It's a description of how to load (via DHCP/
TFTP) and run a "Network Bootstrap Program" (NBP), which can then use
the PXE run time environment and to boot the OS. The PXE code in the rom
CANNOT just load the OS; it's a 2 stage process. There's no way round
it: read Intel's doc; don't ask me why they designed it that way. :(
ftp://download.intel.com/ial/wfm/pxespec.pdf

> Just configure "pxelinux" from "syslinux" (use freshmeat.net to find it)
> to boot the kernel and the new initrd.

Exactly: you use pxelinux *instead* of Etherboot, which is perfectly OK,
but contradicts your previous statement.

Whether you choose pxelinux or Etherboot is a matter of taste: it is
fairly easy to change to one from the other; at the moment both have
their advantages, but it seems clear to me that Etherboot has more of a
future for non-trivial network configurations.

BTW - there's nothing wrong with H. Peter Anvin's pxelinux. Though the
existing Etherboot/PXE code doesn't include any of it, I know that Vasil
did look at the pxelinux assembler (yes, assembler, not C). My main
criticism is that pxelinux shows its origins from the syslinux disk
loader; it is not really a starting point to develop interesting network
booting behaviour.

Currently one real advantage of pxelinux is its use of UNDI, the PXE
device independent network card abstraction. The existing Etherboot does
not use UNDI, so that you have to ask rom-o-matic for the right nic, and
it's possble that pxelinux may work on a PXE NIC which Etherboot does
not support. Anyone know of an example, just out of interest? It would
be nice to port Etherboot to UNDI to give it the same power. Such a port
would probably use pxelinux code. Anyone looking for a useful assembler
project?

Etherboot could also use PXE's DHCP and TFTP libraries, but I see no
advantage in doing so: this would not increase portability, and PXE TFTP
implementations are known to be buggy.

> The whole setup needs:
> 1. dhcpd configured to load "pxelinux" binary
> 2. pxelinux.cfg configured to load kernel and initrd.
> 3. kernel from kernel package
> 4. initrd build from initrd package.

The same as using Etherboot, except that you use pxelinux as the NBP,
pxelinux.cfg instead of adding lines to dhcp.conf, and don't mknbi your
kernel. If this works for you, fine. If I had a large network with many
different network card types all with PXE nics, I'd use pxelinux too.

I do not wish to discourage anyone from trying pxelinux. I just wish to
correct the assertion that PXE, or a boot rom PXE client somehow does
work instead of (or "better than" or "simpler than") Etherboot. Not so.

--
Peter Lister, Sychron Inc.  -  1-866-SYCHRON
Intelligent Infrastructure  -  www.sychron.com