[ This is veering off topic for LTSP, apologies. ]

> Just one question from the non-Etherboot expert:
> Could you load a kernel and an initrd?

Etherboot knows how to load nbi formatted images, so the work is done by
mknbi, which can also e.g. embed kernel parameters.

> How about the network drivers. They could also have bugs (see above)
> which prevent Etherboot to function even if the driver is the correct
> one for the chip. I think the UNDI (in "BIOS") could be fixed by the
> vendors...

Open source has bugs, but what makes you think that hardware vendors
write better code? Vendor's source for this kind of thing is closed
partly to "protect intellectual property", partly so that customers
can't see how bad it is. It *might* be good, but we don't know, do we?

After 10 years or so experience in trying to get first Digital
workstations, then Linux to network boot I am happy to assert that if
you have a critical problem which needs fixing, vendors find it easy to
say "no", but open source solutions get fixed. Hardware vendors write
software to sell hardware (or more software, preferably both); users
write software to run a reliable system. These aims are not identical.