Marvin,

I've attempted to answer each of the questions below.

Marvin T Pascual wrote:

>Hello gurus!
>
>I downloaded already all the 2.09pre4-x.tgz packages (just to make sure) and I just
>read the 2.09pre4-x.tgz instructions that was suggested by Jim McQuillan (thanks, by
>the way) that is located at http://www.ltsp.org/instructions-2.09pre4.html.  My
>questions are:
>
>1.) Do I need to change my runlevel from my default 5 to single user mode 1 in
>installing all the packages in my Mandrake 8.1 box?

No, leave the server in runlevel 5.

>2.) I am currently using kernel 2.4.8 (default kernel of Mandrake 8.1) but I'm
>planning to upgrade it to 2.4.13 maybe tomorrow.  Is it okay for me?

Don't confuse the server kernel with the workstation kernel.  The server
can run ANY kernel you want.

>3.) Do I still need to install the packages lts_kernel-2.09pre4-4.tgz and
>ltsp_initrd_kit-2.09pre4-4.tgz well in fact, those packages are using kernel 2.4.9
>and my default kernel I'm using right now is 2.4.8 and planning to upgrade kernel
>2.4.13 tomorrow?

The ltsp_initrd_kit is only if you plan on building your own workstation
kernels.  Most people probably don't need that package.

You do need the lts_kernel-2.09pre4-4 package.  That contains the kernel
that the workstation will download.

>FYI, I just installed the lts_core-2.09pre4-0.tgz and it was successful but I didn't
>test it yet.  When I try to install the lts_kernel-2.09pre4-4.tgz using the command
>of:
>
># ./install.sh
>
>there's no message that appeared in my terminal not just like when I installed the
>lts_core-2.09pre4-0.tgz package.  It seems that there's nothing happened 'cause it
>just prompted the shell prompt.  And yeah, I was in my default runlevel 5 as a root
>user.  Is it okay?  So after that, I checked my kernel if it was updated (hoping)
>using the command of:
>
># uname -a
>
>but still, it was in kernel 2.4.8.

The fact that no messages appeared, indicates it was successful.  I
know, not very good feedback,
but that's just the way it is right now.

And, running 'uname -a' only tells you what kernel the server is
running.  Which again, is different than
the kernel that the workstation will run.

After installing the kernel, take a look in the /tftpboot/lts directory,
you should see the
new kernel sitting there, waiting for a workstation to come along and
grab it.

>BTW, I am installing the LTSP 2.09pre4-x.tgz packages in my home pc with the
>following specs:
>
>- Intel Pentium 3 800 Mhz
>- Asus CUV4X-C Motherboard
>- 20GB Seagate Barraccuda 7200 RPM HDD
>- 256 MB SDRAM
>- 52x AOpen CD-ROM Drive
>- Sony 3.5" FDD
>- 15" Magtron 1280x1024
>- Inno3D Tornado NVIDIA GeForce2 MX200 GPU 32MB AGP
>- Cnet PRO200S NIC 100/10 Mbps (Davicom 9102)

The server seems plenty powerful to host a whole bunch of workstations.
 If you are going to
add anything, I would make it more RAM.  everything else looks good.

>Thank you in advance for your patience in answering my questions and helping me in
>experimenting this LTSP.  Actually, I'm still a newbie in Linux also and I love the
>idea of Open Source and the GPL.
>
>More power to all of you!
>
>God bless...

Thanks,
and if you need any help, you can find it here in the mailing list, or on
the IRC channel.  it is #ltsp and the server is irc.openprojects.net

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]