At 05:03 AM 12/9/01 +0000, G. Major wrote:
>I am running a network lan where only a portion of it will consist of ltsp
>clients. The remaining systems must obtain their ip addresses from an
>existing hardware dhcp server (router). The ltsp server may not always be
>powered on. I have the latest 3.0 release ltsp code.
>
>Therefore, my question is:
>
>Is it possible to set up a ltsp server and clients where a separate hardware
>dhcp server is used but the ltsp server will serve the boot kernel, etc? If
>so, can you please provide enough information to get it started or point me
>in the proper direction.

Probably, yes. It depends on how capable the DHCP server in your router is.
If you can configure it to specifiy a boot server and filename (giving the
IP of your LTSP server) then you're fine. There's no requirement that the
boot server and the DHCP server be the same machine, it's just the default.

Failing that, as long as your LTSP server has a static IP you can hack
etherboot (or whatever you're using to start the workstations) to use a
hard-coded IP/filename/protocol for booting. Or just stick an old running
some stripped-down Linux distribution on your network and call it a
dedicated DHCP server. An old 386 or 486 single board computer with a
DiskOnChip rather than an actual drive is probably ideal for this: they're
small, last forever (no moving parts), can be bought for less than $100 on
ebay, and typically draw less than 20 watts.
--
"Of course, Linux has become userfriendly. See, you can now click
buttons. But the thing is you don't feel like clicking them".