Jim I tried it and her is what I specified in my dhcp.conf

                host accntg {
                        option routers 172.25.138.1;
                        filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-5";
                        hardware ethernet 00:00:C0:C4:36:B5;
                        option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
                        option nic-thing e4:45:74:68:00:00;
                        option nic-type "NIC=smc-ultra io=0x300";
                        }

and the errors I got when loading the kernel were

Running /linuxrc
Mounting /proc
Linuxrc:installing smc-ultra driver
Insmod /lib/modules/net/smc-ultra.o