On 18-Dec-01 Alex Levit wrote:
> Getting old monitors to work with LTSP X-server can be a drag.

Right you are!  Although IMO the problem is not with LTSP and is not
restricted to monitors.  Even the most recent Linux distros have
problems recognising ANY old hardware.  But then again that's why we
all chose Linux for: the sport, the challenge and the remuneration of
puzzling and fiddling until things work the way we want them to.
Didn't we?

> Mostly it is
> the default H-sync and V-sync rates, that don't match your
> hardware. Try
> manually editing these values in XF86Config for your workstation.

Right again.  That's the place to be.  But you'll have to admit that
the first contacts with XF86Config, its sync rates and its mode lines
are pretty frightening ones.  I gracefully bow for everyone who
successfully edits that config file blindfoldedly and without
consulting its man pages.

> found a
> killer website that lists hundreds of models with specs. Check it
> out.
>
> http://www.monitorworld.com/monitors_home.html

I did check it out. It's truly awesome. With only a few mouse clicks
(3? 4?) I obtained the necessary details for a Yakumo PS1448 from
1994. I bookmarked the URL immediately.

Thank you a zillion times for the ultimate reference to monitor
details.