On Tuesday 18 December 2001 14:23, you wrote:
> On 18-Dec-01 Alex Levit wrote:
> > Getting old monitors to work with LTSP X-server can be a drag.
>
> Right you are!  Although IMO the problem is not with LTSP and is not
> restricted to monitors.  Even the most recent Linux distros have
> problems recognising ANY old hardware.  But then again that's why we
> all chose Linux for: the sport, the challenge and the remuneration of
> puzzling and fiddling until things work the way we want them to.
> Didn't we?
>
> > Mostly it is
> > the default H-sync and V-sync rates, that don't match your
> > hardware. Try
> > manually editing these values in XF86Config for your workstation.
>
> Right again.  That's the place to be.  But you'll have to admit that
> the first contacts with XF86Config, its sync rates and its mode lines
> are pretty frightening ones.  I gracefully bow for everyone who
> successfully edits that config file blindfoldedly and without
> consulting its man pages.

No need to consult man pages to change your monitor specs, just open
your XF86Config in editor, find these lines:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "My Monitor"
        VendorName      "Unknown"
        ModelName       "Unknown"
        HorizSync       30-50
        VertRefresh     47-104

Change values for HorizSync and VertRefresh to match your hardware.
Save and restart your Xserver.
:)
Good Luck
--