Matt Johnson wrote:

--- Snipped ---

> Folks,
>
> I think I'm right in saying K12LTSP distro somehow
> gets around the need for putting in MAC addresses. I
> may have misunderstood but I'm sure that when I tried
> out K12LTSP I didn't have to put the addresses in the
> dhcpd.conf. Anyone know how _they_ get around it?

Since we added auto detection of the NIC and Video chipsets
to LTSP, you can just use dhcp's ability to hand out dynamic IP
addresses.

But, as soon as you want to start having different specifications
in the lts.conf file for each workstation, you need to have
a static IP address, so that the workstation always gets the
same IP address.

For instance, if you have a different kind of mouse on a workstation,
or you want a local printer on the workstation.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]