<QUOTE 'Newbie'>

>Folks,
>
>I think I'm right in saying K12LTSP distro somehow
>gets around the need for putting in MAC addresses. I
>may have misunderstood but I'm sure that when I tried
>out K12LTSP I didn't have to put the addresses in the
>dhcpd.conf. Anyone know how _they_ get around it?
>
>--
>Matt 'Newbie' Johnson

</QUOTE 'Newbie'>

<QUOTE>

>If all of your workstations are the same, dhcp is very simple.  Just set
up
>the defaults they way you want them, and let dhcp assign from a pool of
>address as new requests are made.  You don't need to worry about the MAC
>addresses at all.  They are only usefull if you have terminals with
special
>requirements either in dhcp, or lts.conf.
>
>hope that helps,
>mattc
</QUOTE>

As Matt C. says, DHCP can just assign IP Addresses from a pool to the work
stations to avoid having to get hte MAC addresses from each station to put
into the dhcpd.conf, but this requires that the stations are identical I.E.
do not require special setting in the config file to work.

The script, on the other hand can fetch the MAC addresses from the work
stations for you, which can be handy if your workstations are scattered
around a large area. Once you have the MAC addresses, you can then edit the
config files for any special options that a particular work station needs.

One of the great things about LTSP is it is so flexible and powerful. And
new improvements are coming all the time!

1)   The enbd drivers are being fixed to allow transparent access to the
work station's floppy, CD and other removeable media. This is slightly
workable now with limited success via either nbd OR floppyd, but not both.
And apperently neither of these solutions are usable with CD's at the
moment.

2)   Sound seems to be working, but there is still quite a few problems
being experienced by some users. I suppose some of this can be attributed
to the fact that sound requires so many different kernel modules and there
are so many different, incompatible sound cards that creating a single
'one-size-fits-all' solution is difficult.

3)   Dario Rapisardi has just posted a simple client/server setup to allow
access to the serial ports on the work stations. I've got a few Palm Pilots
I plan to start testing this with. Hopefully we can get this included as a
standard part of LTSP. His original mail suggested this had been used with
USB ports as well.

After this, I can't think of anything else needed to make the work stations
completely transparent to the user. In other words, give the impression
that everything they are doing is running on the work station rather that
really running on a remotely-located server.

Cheers,

     John Gay