DK-

I've used xmovie on a diskless client.  Here's the description from
Freshmeat:

"XMovie allows you to watch high quality Quicktime and MPEG movies on a
Linux box. The Quicktime decoder reads OpenDivx, assorted YUV formats,
JPEG photo, MJPA, RGB, DV, IMA4, ULAW, Vorbis, and PCM codecs. The MPEG
decoder reads MPEG-1 video, MPEG-2 video, MPEG-1 system streams, MPEG-2
system streams, VOB files, IFO files, MP2 and MP3 audio, and AC3 audio."

Freshmeat also gives this link for the project:

http://heroinewarrior.com/xmovie.php3

I know this doesn't get you your VCD support, but hope this helps.

Jason