Too bad the archives are not searchable.  People have been doing this
for years.  Start up without login and go straight to NS which allows
web mail.  Setting up kiosks with NS mail would be a pain since each
person has to have a ns mail account.  But the problem you are inquiring
about is easily solved.  Just set up xinitrc(or whatever you use) to
start the wm  and Netscape or Mozilla or Star Office or whatever.

have fun.

OFFRAY LUNA wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Recently a readed about a Internet Appliance that has a Net User
> Interface and it makes that the Desktop looks like a browser. It gives
> the posibility to browse the web, read/write mail, compose letters,
> manage schedule. Is based on mozilla, a custom build kernel and Ret Hat
> 7.1. You can find info about it on www.oeone.com and there is a revision
> also on newsforge.
>
> Is suposed that all the software is based on G.P.L. software but seems
> that the oeone people wants to give the source only to their "technical
> customers" and want the distro lock-in to the hardware so there is any
> info about the repository for rmps and no indication on how to get the
> source code. It makes me angry >:{ . Would be nice to have a lot of ltsp
> clients with an intuitive, easy to learn/use, Network User Interface. It
> would be nice in places like information kiosk, net coffes or Schools.
>
> Anyway I hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
>
> Offray Vladimir
>

> On s_, 2002-01-19 at 10:39, Jim McDonald wrote:
>
>>To my knowledge nobody has actually created a Distro that is "just" a web
>>browser.
>>
>>IE taken the trouble to cut away everything but the Kernel, networking, X
>>windows & [whichever flavour] browser and made it into an ISO ready to go.
>>
>>Please, somebody, tell me otherwise.
>>
>>Surely I can't be the only one who would find such a thing useful.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Jim.

>>For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net

Michael H. Collins                      http://www.linuxlink.com
Linux Streaming Radio                   http://www.kpig.com
Penguins are so sensitive.              Lyle Lovett