Don,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not disable xdm, at least intentionally. If I get a bash prompt and
then manually issue the "start_ws", I still get the same results.
There is only a gray screen with a large X cursor (that can be moved), but
no login prompt. It looks like some sort of xdm problem. Everything was
working fine until I did a "make modules_install" and "buildk".

I will probably try rebuilding the kernel plus modules and running the
initrd "buildk" script. I don't intend to run the kernel since I can't find
the "nfs swap" patch. I only have the "official" 2.4.9 kernel source from
kernel.org. I don't know where to get the sources and patches that ltsp
uses.

I think that merely building the kernel plus modules somehow may have broken
the system. I did not set the "EXTRAVERSION" #define in the Makefile when
building the kernel. I think that this needs to be set to "-ltsp-5" in order
to get the paths correct. I am not sure of this since I have never been able
to successfully build a kernel. I any case, I can run the original kernel at
runlevels 3 and 4, I just can't get X windows login to work.

Thanks,
Rob