I can't comment on the installer scripting, because I was adding LTSP
support to an existing network with running DHCP and XDM services.
For irrelevant reasons therefore, the DHCP, XDM, TFTP and NFS are
all on different computers (performance was not a factor in any of this).

All those servers are still running Debian Potato and LTSP just 'works'.
The application servers are running both Stable and Testing, depending
on their content and underlying corporate purposes, with no problems.

On another network, I've got a single machine hosting all the LTSP
services.  That machine has run Potato, Unstable and Testing at various
times and this never had any impact on the reliability of the LTSP.
Again, the prior existence of some of the services precluded auto install.

I second other peoples' comment that the real question is whether you're
comfortable doing system administration of a Debian based server.

Hope that helps ...