Hi Matthew,

The first thing you MUST try is adding more memory - increase it to AT
LEAST 1Gb Ram.
As you yourself said, the thing using most CPU is kswapd, so you should
add memory to drastically reduce or eliminate swapping before deciding if
you need more processors. In my experience Linux is NOT cpu hungry like
other operating systems, and memory is MUCH more important.

> Hello, I have installed LTSP for a client and it's having a lot of
problems.

> Here are the details:
> Redhat 7.2 with all the latest errata update.
> LTSP 3.0 from rpms
> IBM Netfinity Server, PIII 500 w/ 256M RAM, nice fast SCSI raid 5 disk
setup.
> Approx 20 users running KDE 2.2.2 (official redhat rpms).
> Staroffice 5.2

> The problem is that after a little while we start havng major stability
> problems.  Users can't log in anymore, KDE starts having problems for
users
> who are already logged in, everything crawls to a halt, and we have to
> reboot, at least once, often twice or more per day.

> Under this setup the load average typically is between 1 and 2.  We have
> approx 360M of swap being used (allocated a gig).  The process using most
of
> the cpu is kswapd.

Best regards,
Nigel Pallett,
Technical Director,
Optimus UK Ltd.

--
Nigel Pallett, E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Optimus UK Limited, The Kenilworth Business Centre, 131 Warwick Road,