-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Stability Problems (fwd)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:34:32 -0700
From: Dave Shiels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: John Cuzzola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You have kind of answered your own question.
1) The process using most of the cpu is kswapd.
2) IBM Netfinity Server, PIII 500 w/ 256M RAM.
3) We have approx 360M of swap being used.

At least add some more RAM to the box to get it out of swap.  This is called
thrashing, when swap can't keep up. The first indication is you have more
swapped out than the base ram on the machine.  I am not sure about Staroffice
but you might squeak by with a PIII 500 and that many users if the box is not
swapping. I think the latest version uses shared memory.

RAM is cheap buy more. Actually all the box will hold is best. John is on the
mark with his comments as well.

John Cuzzola wrote:

> *** I think the server you are using is woefully underpowered. We
> typically have 30+ ltsp users at any given time. We're running Dual
> Pentium 1000s with 4gigs ram redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.17(compiled fresh
> from ftp.kernel.org). I think you really
> do need
> dual processors
> for that kind of load. Also I definitely wouldn't be using KDE as the
> Window/Desktop Manager. Try ICEWM or similiar. In our setup we use
> KDE 2.2 programs (like ktuberling, etc) but our Window Manager/Desktop is
> ICEWM. I tried to handle a large load with a single processor PIII 850
> with 512 Megs ram and experienced the same problems you described below...
>
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>
> > Hello, I have installed LTSP for a client and it's having a lot of problems.
> >
> > Here are the details:
> > Redhat 7.2 with all the latest errata update.
> > LTSP 3.0 from rpms
> > IBM Netfinity Server, PIII 500 w/ 256M RAM, nice fast SCSI raid 5 disk setup.
> > Approx 20 users running KDE 2.2.2 (official redhat rpms).
> > Staroffice 5.2
> >
> > The problem is that after a little while we start havng major stability
> > problems.  Users can't log in anymore, KDE starts having problems for users
> > who are already logged in, everything crawls to a halt, and we have to
> > reboot, at least once, often twice or more per day.
> >
> > Under this setup the load average typically is between 1 and 2.  We have
> > approx 360M of swap being used (allocated a gig).  The process using most of
> > the cpu is kswapd.
> >
> > I am aware that the server is probably under spec'd, and I am working to put
> > together a better server with about a gig of memory so that we won't be
> > swapping so much. However, It is my understanding that swapping out that much
> > will slow you down, but shouldn't cause stability problems.  I have increased
> > the file-max setting in /proc to 65536 which is about twice the number I get
> > from doing an lsof | wc.
> >
> > My question I guess is this:  Do other people have these types of stability
> > problems with KDE?  Are there any other linux kernel settings to tweak that
> > will help? inode-max is no longer there in the 2.4 kernel.  Do you think a
> > bigger server will fix the problems?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated as we are getting in hot water with this client, and
> > they are going to want to rip out the solution pretty soon if things don't
> > get much better in a hurry.
> >
> > As a side note, on Friday the server was down for an hour as some of the
> > clients apparently started screaming for the server IP, and the server
> > couldn't handle the traffic, so it wouldn't boot until we powered off many of
> > the clients.   The client PCs are a hodgepodge of "white box" PCs with all
> > sorts of different nics and video cards, and all boot off of floppies created
> > from www.rom-o-matic.net.  We were going to standardize this over time, but
> [...]

Crayne's law: All computers wait at the same speed.