> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:57:35 -0600 (CST)
> From: Lachlan Dunlop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Before moving my application to ltsp thin clients, it has been working
> great!  With the touchscreen connected to the serial port on the
> server (but it is very limiting).
>
> So I have connected my touch screen to the com port on the thin client and
> it collects the data.  It then writes each screen touch to a named pipe
> which is located in the /tmp/swapfiles directory.  The application never
> reports an error, but there is no data in my pipe.
>
> I am running ltsp 3.0 on SuSE 7.0.  I have swap turned on for the
> client.  I can create files in the swap area no problem.
>
> Is there a different solution for this.  Should I throw the named pipe
> stuff out when running over NFS?
>
> This is a fundamental process that ltsp would be awesome for if I could
> get the data across the network in realtime.

Lach,

My understanding of named pipes is that the part that makes them work
resides in the kernel.  A named pipe only works for communication
between two apps running on the same running copy of a kernel!  Each app
opens the named pipe, which actually accesses a resource in the kernel.
  So, named pipes functioning over NFS doesn't make any sense.  I don't
think it could ever work.

As for your touch-screen app...  If it could be made to run on the
server, but to display on the client (on the touch-screen), then it
could write to a named pipe *on the server* and thereby communicate with
whatever other process it needs to.  If the app needs to run on the
client in order to read the screen touches, then perhaps it could
somehow (UDP? TCP?) send the screen touch info back to a process running
on the server, which would then write the data to a named pipe *on the
server*.

Jason