On Wednesday 20 March 2002 05:33 am, you wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 05:09:10PM -0800, Rois Cannon wrote:
> > Hans,  Yes it is reading kdmrc.  I've changed some wording in the gui and
> > have switched back and forth from clock to logo to nothing and the
> > changes do show but it just won't autologin.  I was hoping to have each
> > workstation location login as a different user to access specific html
> > files but I didn't want to have the login because I only want to have
> > mice and NO keyboard.
> >
> > My autologin does work from the console. I just don't understand why it
> > won't work from the LTSP Terminals.
>
> Do you mean "from the console" or "at the server"?
>
> > I'm on the virge of doing a complete
> > re-install just in case I have goofed something up.  Any chance you know
> > of any documentation on the kdmrc file?
>
> I am afraid not.
Rois,

I had the same problem with autologin. In fact, I had two machines setup as
LTSP servers, and on one of them autologin worked, while the other one did
not. Since the one that didn't work was my firewall server I blamed the it on
that security settings.

A couple of days ago, I got autologin working on both machines. The reason it
didn't work was because my test machine, ws003, was identified as
ws003.test.home because I added a domain suffix to my dhcpd.conf file (My
private LAN is test.home, while my public interface is .ne.client2.attbi.com.)

Look at your dhcpd.conf file and see if you are supplying an argument for
domain-name. Here's mine

option subnet-mask            255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address      192.168.0.255;
option routers                192.168.0.1;
option domain-name-servers    24.218.0.228;
option domain-name            "test.home";

If you are supplying a domain name, modify your kdmrc file to include the
domain name. Here's a snip from my kdmrc that works. I probably have
extraneous stuff in here, but I haven't removed anything yet to see what the
minimum entries are:

[X-ws003.test.home:*-Greeter]
NoUsers=adm,alias,amanda,apache,bin,bind,daemon,exim,falken,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,httpd,ident,ingres,kmem,lp,mail,mailnull,man,mta,mysql,named,news,nobody,nscd,operator,pcap,pop,postfix,postgres,qmaild,qmaill,qmailp,qmailq,qmailr,qmails,reboot,root,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,sendmail,shutdown,sympa,sync,tty,uucp,xfs,xten,
PreselectUser=ws003
SessionTypes=KDE,Gnome,IceWM,Sawfish,failsafe,default
ShowUsers=ws003
SortUsers=true
StdFont=helvetica,12,5,15,50,0
Users=ws003