Quoting Shane Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Can anyone tell me how to set up (or point me to a site which could) a
> server to self recover from power outages/crashes ?.  I particularly
> need to get around the occasional need to manually run fsck following
> these events.  Presumably, I need to mount 'ro' the main fs, then build
> the runtime fs either in ramdisk, or Hdd and do similar 'pivot root' as
> the clients do.

Shane,

RedHat 7.2 and probably some other recent distros use ext3 file systems.  This
is a "journaling" file system.  My understanding is that there is some
intermediate jounrnaling step when writing data to the disk that reduces the
need to use fsck after an outage.  It also greatly reduces boot up time, etc.
Sorry I can't remember more about this.  I'd recommend looking into some details
about the new journaling file systems and see if they will help your situation.

Another thing that would help is to put the server on a UPS and set it up to
shut down cleanly if the UPS power is failing.  Something like APC Powerchute
should work.

Hope this helps,
Derek

Derek Dresser