Ok,

    I've installed the rpms for ltsp core and the linux kernel.  Then
installed the X core and X fonts.  Ended up installing the 336 SVGA rpm
as well, but I've since removed that video board that was causing greif.
  (A no-name, lost-leader, Cirrus Logic board.)  I've put in an ATI Mach
64 PCI board, and all works great.

    During bootup, X actually starts.  It ends up with a textured screen
with nothing but an 'X' for the mouse pointer.  The standard look to the
X window system.  What else am I missing here?

Andy