After a few weeks of prayer and fasting, I think I now know what
must be done to allow LTSP to work with the new SiS630ET chip.

>From a remark by Ken Yap, I infer that the sis900.o file must be
in the initrd file image which is tacked onto the kernel image.

So I think that I need to:
  1. Recompile the 2.4.9 kernel with a (slightly modified) sis900.c
     file from the 2.4.18 source.

  2. make the bzImage of the new 2.4.9 kernel (although this may not
     be necessary as the kernel itself will be no different, just
     the sis900.o module).

  3. build a new initrd and connect this to the kernel using mknbi
     from the etherboot package.

My problem: I don't know how to make the new initrd. I cannot find
any relevant INSTALL, README, or HOWTO on this topic.

All the other LTSP stuff has come in RPM files which have installed into
/opt/ltsp/i386

The initrd_kit is a tar.gz file.

Where should I unload it? in /usr/src/linux2.4.9 (where the kernel is)
 or into /opt/ltsp/i386?

Having untarred the initrd_kit into the right place, what do I do
next. (There is a buildk script. Do I run that.)

Any help would we much appreciated.

John O'Gorman