Thank you all for your excellent suggestions, I have now tried boot
images from Etherboot 5.0.5 and 5.0.6, Linksys LNE100-TX and 3Com 3c905B
nics, various known-good cables, 5-port switches from Linksys, Netgear,
and D-Link, an astonishing array of invectives, and still the only thing
that works is my old Linksys 5-port 10 megabit hub (along with any
combination of nics). At this point, I am ready to give up and go buy a
better hub to use on this network segment, but I shudder to think of the
collision storm that will arise from running my file/print/MP3/terminal
server on a hub, serving 2 workstations (each with sound support) and 8
other computers across the network.

Several people have suggested using only half-duplex, I have not tried
this yet because (1) I don't really know how to do this :) and (2) I
don't think that would solve the original problem here, which is to
avoid having so many network collisions from just one client. If you can
provide me with an easy answer for (1), I am willing to try it!
Actually, at this point, if you have any suggestions at all, no matter
how weird, I am willing to try them.

Thanks again for all your help, sorry for spamming the mailing list!

-Glenn