> If they want new equipment go for the least expensive
> processor available in
> the client - but that is likely to be > 600 Duron.

If you're doing that, you probably have more than 32MB
of memory in each one.  In that case, since the whole of
the LTSP filesystem fits into a 16MB block of cramfs,
you can omit the NFS service completely for most clients.
This makes those terminals completely autonomous of the
LTSP boot environment when in a static stable environment.

Your boot server starts your test clients (say the 10
machines closest to your office) with normal NFS usage.
Machines known to have 32MB or less memory use NFS too.
The remainder receive both the kernel and the cramfs
using TFTP, with no subsequent load on the boot server.
Thus, an app server can act as a backup boot server.

> If you can
> load balance them you can also build in redundancy and
> probably use less
> expensive components so more medium spec servers end up
> cheaper than one mega
> all singing and dancing one.

I suggest telling the clients to use XDMCP broadcast
to find their login server.  By dynamically changing
the contents of the Xaccess files on the application
servers, you can move clients around as availability
and loading patterns change throughout the day.

Each of the 490 machines contacts the boot server once
on power up, then never again.  Every time a user wants
to log in, the client machine will find a desktop
server that is willing to accept its IP address.