"Andres Betancourt E." wrote:
> The answer to ipchains-save is:
> :input ACCEPT
> :forward DENY
> :output ACCEPT
> Saving `forward'.
> -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -j MASQ
> -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -j MASQ
>
> this is correct?
Yes, and no. While this set of rules isn't causing your NFS problems, it
is unlikely that it is correct.  I'll get into why at the bottom of this
message.

IPCHAINS isn't causing your NFS problems.  Could you please run 'netstat
-l | grep nfs'?  This command asks for a list of all network connections
that at in the LISTEN state, listed by name, filtering out all
connections that don't involve nfs.  You should get a single line in
response that looks like this:
udp        0      0 *:nfs                   *:*
If you don't get this line, NFS isn't listening.  Let's check this
first.

Going back to the ipchains problem:
If this machine is connected directly to an untrusted network (like the
Internet), you need to add rules to block dangerous traffic.  If it's
connected to two trusted networks, you probably don't the need the MASQ
lines.  If it's connected to only one network, you don't need the MASQ
lines.

- From this output, we can see that ipchains isn't causing your NFS
problem, since this setup leaves you wide open to all traffic coming
from anywhere.

- It also shows us that if /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward has a 1 in it,
then forwarded traffic (that is, traffic that comes from other machines
and isn't addressed to your machine) will be re-written to appear as if
it came from your machine.  This is correct if you are trying to hide
the IP addresses on one network from machines on the second network;
normally, you would do this only when one of the two networks wasn't
trusted.

--> I recommend you read up on firewalling.  The IPCHAINS-HOWTO at the
Linux Documentation Project at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html is a good start. <--

Regard,
David Johnston