Hi,

> Anthony Dean stated in a post the 25 of april that it is possible to
> get a gui login promp over ssh (without using vnc), but, as I
> understood his post, other features of the XDMCP such as indirect
> queries is not possible (since they rely on udp).

> He has not given a working example of how to do it though.

I don't think it would be so difficult. I allready did something approaching
(in the lts_ssh package), but the login is on the console, X is started
afterwards. I use ssh to encrypt, but also to authenticate the user. I don't
think much change would be needed to use only encryption.

Doing a gui login wouldn't be so complicated, I think. Something like a dm
isn't really needed, just a window which gets the login, password (and maybe
passphrase), and then call a script which does all the work, or connect to ssh
by pipes to transmit the login/password.

As for features of XDMCP, the chooser could be emulated, by having a fixed list
of ssh/X servers. I can't see any possible implemetation for indirect queries,
as Dean said, but is it used a lot ?

> I still think this discussion is rather academic: If security as in
> confidentiality is of great concern, afford not to use LTSP (even
> consider not connecting computers to the network at all), if integrity

I don't think so. Public key authentication is fairly secure. The only issue I
see is man in the middle attacks. I think ltsp environments, with dhcp/tftp
issuing broadcasts it isn't possible to avoid man in the middle attacks.

> of data is of great concern, use LTSP and enforce good backup
> policies. For those whose needs are in between, use SSH together with
> VNC rather than XDMCP.

ssh with X is right here too.

Pat