On Wed, 15 May 2002 20:43:37 -0400, "Skip Gaede" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've had a few exchanges with Jim about the "right" way to do this, and I
> agree that SNMP or a sockets-based app running as a daemon would be a more
> elegant solution, but I now have running, on a client near me, a script that
> collects information from the /proc/meminfo file and dumps the results in the
> system log on the server. Since it's script-based, I plan on making it more
> elegant, collect more data, and do some filtering, etc.
>
> The concept is that I use the at "batch" command to execute a script which
> sits in an infinite loop. Data is collected into shell variables which are
> then written to the system log by the logger utility. I chose the batch
> command, rather than cron or at, because I didn't need to specify an exact
> time, and I could do the scheduling by simply doing a sleep command in the
> script...

    This sounds like a lot of trouble; I got snmp to work and it was telling me ALL
the information about processes, available ram, drive space, even the durned kernel
BOOT strings, fcol.  If you're a regular programmer-kinda guy, I have at it, but if
you get back to SNMP, I can source you the config files that'll allow you to use
existing tools like tkined and such.  Let me know if you want to go this way; I'd be
happy to help you out with my prrvious work if you like.

    Cheers!

Brian Fahrländer              Linux Zealot, Conservative, and Technomad
ICQ  5119262
AOL: WheelDweller
Yahoo: WheelDweller           Me: http://www.kamakiriad.com/aboutme.html