Erik,

No, the blank screen with the X is not a display driver problem,
it is a 'Display Manager' problem.  On mandrake, it is probably
kdm.  You need to make sure that kdm is configured to allow
remote workstations to get a login.

Find the kdmrc file and make sure that in the '[Xdmcp]' section
it has 'enable=true' or 'enable=yes'.

Also, kdm uses the /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess file to allow access
to remote workstations.  Make sure you have a line in that
file that starts with an asterisk as the first char of the line.

Run this, to see if kdm is listening:

   netstat -anp | grep ":177 "

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]