On Tuesday, 25. June 2002 14:49, you wrote:
> From: "Francis Avila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] mount nfs root 4 min
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:44:10 -0400
>
> [...] how bad rtl8139 is.
>
> It's important to note that the rtl8139 chipset is really not a whole lot
> better than the NE2000.  Its chief advantage is that it's designed with PCI
> in mind, and is more suited to that architecture than NE2000.  However,
> it's still a really, really cheap chipset, and don't expect too much from
> it. I've found it to be very unreliable at 100Mbps, and just forget about
> full-duplex (which is usually more trouble than it's worth, anyway, even
> with very expensive cards).

I am using a cheapy RTL8139 card in my home server at 100MBps/FullDuplex
without any problem. The via-rhine based card I had till half a year ago was
just crap. Collapsing every two hours or so for several seconds... of course
always when I needed it most. The second via-rhine I had in my desktop is
just being replaced (after I shut down Linux...). I can only discourage usage
of via-rhine, while RTL run fine for me.

> If you are building a LTSP network from scratch, do avoid these cards
> unless you are completely impoverished.  In which case, however, better
> these than the NE2000s.

Agree. Dumped them long time ago (after a thunderstorm killed them) and
swapped for via-rhine. Was a mistake though.

> As a corollary, however: these cards are nice for small, non-critical
> networks (e.g., a home network) as they can be got for incredibly low
> prices (e.g., <25 $US ).

As I am listed as reseller, I can get rtl8139 based PCI for about 7,50 Euro
per piece +tax here in Germany, even in small quantities, so end-user-prize
about 9 US-$ if I don't need to earn on them :-) as on my pet project at two
schools nearby. I'd prefer to put 3com into my computers, but 55 Euro up is a
bit too expensive for my own machine, and schools do never have money. As
long as rtl is so problem-free, I will stick to them.

Anselm