Okay. I'm stuck. I've messed up something here. It looks like
what I had working was KDE on top of XDM. (I'm a little confused
about the differences between KDE, KDM, XDM, etc..but thats
another story).

That was working fine. Now I want to get kdm working instead of
xdm. But all I can get with kdm is a blasted gray square with an
X. If I manually start xdm then I get a login screen but when I
log into my client all I get is a box on the top left corner of
my screen that says:

Client List | Session Log
Checkpoint  | Shutdown

I've been playing with so many configuration files I'm not sure
where I've messed up.

How can I set KDM to start automatically and accept connections?

Or at least where can I look for the configuration I'm missing?
I've done searches on the ltsp mailing list. I've read all the
docs. I know I'm missing something I'm just not sure what.

Maybe I'm getting what I'm supposed to?

I'm very confused.

Thanks in advance.