Hello Michael,

> Now that I read your comments, I think I want to try another approach to
> this. On the same site they have info on TINI (Tiny InterNet
> Interface --www.ibutton.com/tini) wich does all the propietary iButton stuff
> and gets this info on the network.  If I can get my server to read or track
> this info, I can access it with my WS's.

I read it - again some problems: Does it just open a tcp port for you
to communicate with that single-wire interface attached? Would
probably be the best solution.

> Let's say I wanted to use the serial port for something else.  A simple LCD
> display, showing the price the client has to pay.  this can be different per
> WS.  How to set this up (Hardware/Software) ?

I recommend using a parallel port, as described in
www.ocinside.de
http://www.linuxnetmag.com/de/issue5/m5lcd1.html (german)
http://www.linux-magazin.de/ausgabe/1999/08/LCD/lcd.html (german)

or just go google'ing yourself. This would require the lcd driver module (as
mentioned in these pages) to be run on the WS, but that should not
matter for LTSP, remember the RCFILE directive for lts.conf. The same,
it should be no great problem to start a process listening on port
udp 5651 or so and dump everything it gets to the /dev/lcd device.

Then it could be reasonable to have a server program running on one
computer dedicated as "iButton server". This program would wait for
someone to put his iButton to the reader. If it's a waiter, the
workstation screen could change to the "select drinks/food", if it's a
client, he would be presented with his debts.

If you want it web-based, you could have a html refreshing every two
seconds or so, and if there was an iButton detected, it could get over
to a page where all the interesting stuff can happen. Then it would
not matter wether it's linux or windows based clients, main thing they
can display html. Linux can of course. And which one can be
manipulated less. And which costs less. And which runs more stable.
Puuh - I don't think I talked about windoze :-)

Ask me if you need some help with that german pages. I had no time to
find out more "international" ones - probably there are though.

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>