I miss some way to run Xconfigurator on the workstation and try/guess the right
options. With the Xserver=auto I got a incompatible configuration that lets my
workstation looping in an atempt to start X and the only way to stop it is on
the power bottom. I couldn't switch back to with CTR-ALT-F2 to force init 3
again and so try some chainges in the /tmp/XF86config. I also miss an editor at
runlevel 3, how could I run vi at the workstation ?

The only thing I know from the workstations hardware, an old 486, is that the
videocard is from Trident and the monitor an old SVGA with no frequency infos.

Thanks,

Alex