Francis Avila wrote:

>My theory is that it _should_ work (provided usb floppy drives are exported

They will work if they export and use the same ioctl() commands that
normal floppies use.  The changes to the ENBD only have translation
tables for floppy and CDROM ioctls currently.  It shouldn't be difficult
at all to track down and add the necessary ioctl calls into the
translation tables to get any other block device to work.  (I haven't
tried this yet, though)

>by the kernel as transparently as ide floppy drives [1]), but before I go
>wasting my time chasing my tail I'd like to know if it actually _does_ work.
>For one thing, I don't even have a usb floppy drive yet with which to test
>this. (But again, it's not like I _need_ $40 dollars....)
>
>Oh, and any other thoughts on enbd would be welcome, as well. The
>documentation on nbd and enbd is fantastically sparse. (I will attempt to
>rectify that if things go well.)
>
>Also, is there any alternative to making a new device node for every user
>that needs floppy access? This seems kinda kludgy to me, but it could be
>that I just don't really understand what's going on in the nbd process [2].
>And binding users to terminals is crazy, although that is clearly a kludge
>and not a necessity of nbd [3]. Besides, what if you have more than 256
>users who need floppy access? Then what?

Technically, with ENBD, you can only have a maximum of 128 ENBD nodes.
 One for the raw device and one for the channel to use, so 256 is the
maximum number of minor nodes per major node which divided by 2 gives
you 128 users.  However, the ENBD allows you to load the nbd.o module as
many times as you want giving it the parameter 'major=n', where n is the
major number for the device.  The default (E)NBD major number is 43.
 So, when you run out of 128 nodes, you can modprobe nbd again giving it
another major number to use, and viola!, you have another 128 nodes to
use.  Of course, this only works until you run out of free major numbers
on the system.

--
Jason A. Pattie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]