> > It feels to me that the design of LTSP is one where you're supposed to
drop
> > it into place and run it. Unfortunately, this seems rather... sparse for
> > understanding.
>
> *** Jim and the contributors have done an awesome
> job with LTSP. The "Drop it in place" goal allows linux newcomers a chance
> to try out LTSP.

Which is why I'm not trying to replace the current set at all. I intend to
supplement it...

> Although I do agree that doing it from scratch does give
> a better understanding.

And, as importantly, as much control.

> In fact, in our school district we spent a good
> deal of time retraining our techs for Linux and LTSP. When it came time to
> remote network booting we explained it from scratch - with no mention of
> LTSP. It was quite easy to do. First we recompiled a kernel and selected
> the necessary kernel options (root over NFS, selected Network Card, Kernel
> level autoconfiguration, etc). Then we configured a dhcp server with
> the option root-path directive and exported it via NFS. We took
> the compiled bzImage and booted it from a floppy using GRUB:

In short, you created your own - for understanding, and (possibly) a little
more flexibility. Whether or not seeing somebody else's method would have
helped you, I don't know. But I know this process can become complicated,
and having some setup for that would be very beneficial.

Not every system is capable of using LTSP as a drop-in (some of my Linux
systems would puke - they are completely custom-built and can't take some
drop-in). I think that the LTSP project can be furthered by expanding it
into a wider area that ALSO aims to help and enourage those interested in
creating their own specific setups.

-Jeff
SIG: HUP