The main reason is that modern distributions are optimised for the
processor/glibc that it was installed on. It is very difficult to support some
of the older processors with this in mind. Keeping a full distribution that will
run on a 486 would be no joke.

LTSP V2 used to do it this way. It became very messy, very quickly (Although I
still use it for some clients).

Doing the apps on the server allows memory to be used more efficiently as apps
such as openoffice share large blocks of code between instances.

Regards
Darryl