> Could you elaborate on how to do this?  I tried to figure out how to
> accomplish this in a Redhat box some time ago, but was unsuccessful,
> although I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it.
>
> How do you set KDM/XDM/GDM to run as a daemon for LTSP clients?

*** Well I use XDM so I can help you there. For KDM/GDM you'll have to
look at the docs or I'm sure some friendly LTSP'er on this list will give
the details.

Anyways with xdm.

Edit the file Xservers. (On a RedHat system this file is in /etc/X11/xdm)

You'll see a line that reads (approx:):

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Comment out or delete that line.

There's a few other files that need to be tinkered with *but* I'm going to
assume that since LTSP is working for you when you go into run-level 5
that those other files are correctly configured. With the above change you
can run xdm at the console without having it give you a graphical login
screen on the server (only service XDCMP clients). Be sure to have xdm
launch in run-level 3 if you want to make the change permanent.