On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:38:18 -0500, "Bhaskar S. Manda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, people!
> > > We need your help now and fast (if possible), please!
> > > We are testing the LTSP and an error was find.
> > >
> > > That is it: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
> > > The lines viewed on workstation screen before the error are:
> > >

> > Hmmm.. didn't we go through this before? Is this a mailer problem, or do yo
> > have a different LTSP problem now?
>
>     I don't think so; it's the problem I initially had, too, and a perenial problem
>of LTSP: gettin' the durned versions of the kernel RPM right.  I was using 3.0 and
>had to use 3.01 or somesuch. (It's been a couple of months ago, and I'm not using it
>right now.)

The problem you are referring to was a bug in the vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-6
kernel that couldn't handle 486's and small pentiums.

This guy is using the vmlinuz-2.4.18-ltsp-1 kernel, and as far as
I know, this kernel does NOT have this problem.

>     Isn't there a digest of this list someplace?  Isn't this on the FAQ somewhere?
>
>     But as to root causes (no pun intended): is there something that can be done to
>improve the error message, disallow the loading of an RPM, or something that can be
>done to set this straight?

Sure, find the code in the kernel that spits out that message, change it
to something more user-friendly, and submit the patch to Linus :)

In the kernel output that was included in the original message,
it looks like he needs to scroll back just a bit further, to show us
the messages that come out after Etherboot, during the mknbi-linux
part of the boot process.  Then, we may see that the initrd failed
to load for some reason.  That's the only reason I can think of that
the ram-based rootfs wouldn't load.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]