Jim

Forget all previus messages on this thread. I got the same error every
time because i was modifying a dhcpd.conf back-up file. Sorry.

Now that i modified the right dhcpd.conf file, workstation just don't
download the kernel.
Take a look at my dhcpd.conf.

The error message shown is:
"
Loadin 192.168.1.1:/HD/tftpboot/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.18-ltsp-1 .TFTP error 2
(Access violation)
Unable to load File
"

And, please, tell me about /mnt/initrd dir on the server. And how that
fs gets mounted on ram0 on workstation?

I guess the problem happens when the machine tries to mount /mnt/initrd
to ram.

Alex Robertson wrote:

> Here I go again...
>
> Let me explain all the situation.
>
> I use slackware 8.1 - kernel 2.4.18. (server and workstation)
>
> I changed some paths because of disk space. I installed ltsp another
> directory. DHCPD, exportfs, and others know this new location. AND I
> also created a sim-link in /opt/tlsp pointing to that new location.
>
> I built my own kernel for the workstation. I have built more than 20
> different configurations. I have started with .config from a tlsp
> package.
>
> Using mknbi, I passed root path parameter for the kernel.
> (rootdir=/dev/ram0). Then I got a "Unable to mount root fs on 01:00"
> error message.
> I also tried to pass rootdir=/opt/ltsp/i386. Then, it mounted root fs
> and I got a "unable to open an initial console" warning. I know it's not
> the right way.
>
> But i found on the /mnt directory on the server a ./initrd directory.
> Its contents seemed to be the root fs to be mounted on the client's ram.
> there is also a /mnt/initrd/linuxrc file. Then i tried to make this
> directory to be the root fs. rootdir=/mnt/initrc. It does not work.
> PROPERLY!
>
> If I do not append an init command, i get a busybox error.
> But if I append a init=/linuxrc command, the script is run, /proc is
> mounted. But when it tries to install sis900 driver it stops. =>
>
> ERROR! Failed to install the NIC driver module ..........
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> I know it's not the right way, but it almost worked. :-)
>
> The question is:
> What can i do to stop this kind of error?
> May i comment lines that loads the modules, once i have all built in the
> kernel?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Alex G Robertson