On Friday 30 August 2002 00:33, Peter Billson wrote:
> > => how (if at all) can I find out if the screensaver is running (i.e.
> > visible) on an X-terminal?
> >
> > If I can find this out, then I will have the screensaver detect
> > inactivity, and then I will peek at the screensaver every once in a
> > while, so I can terminate the session.
>
> Ahh, that I can help you with!
>
> xscreensaver-command -display ws101:0 -time
>
> (That is where ws101 is your workstations name)
>
> This will return either when it has been blanked (screensaver on) or
> non-blanked.
>
>  BTW- I do have a little script that I wrote that I run in a library set
> up. It runs from from cron every minute and checks for blanked screens
> and then "cleans up" the workstation by killing the different programs
> that may be running (Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc.). Let me know if anyone
> wants it.
>
>  Now that I think of it, it would probably be easy enough to add a
> little time calculator and just kill the whole X session, which would
> log out the user and reset the workstation.

Thank you, Pete!

(Guess what; while eagerly waiting for you to come up with a solution, I just
could not resist and RTFM'd around myself a little bit.......to come up with
exactly the same solution!)

Now in order to kill the session, I think I will follow this approach:
=> use the ".xsession" file to start my windowmanager (icewm) in the
background (so I won't exec to it).
=> at the end of the .xsession file put a loop where I go to sleep for, say,
15 minutes, and then check if the screensaver is active; if so I simply exit
from .xsession; else I go to sleep again, etc.

For my application, this seems like an elegant way to get things done.

Any better ideas?

Z.