On Wednesday 04 September 2002 02:55, William A. Gatliff wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Hi
> > William laudible, but foolish.
>
> Thanks for the vote of confidence.  :^)
>
> > Many people have built their own 'embedded' solutions.
> > Technology is changing so fast that even big companies can't keep up
> > eg Blue Chip Technology
>
> I'm not so concerned about that.  An LTSP system has, shall we say, less
> than ambitious processing requirements (which is a good thing!).  I don't
> see the need, or the sense, in staying up on the leading edge.
>
> > How soon before the ram you choose is unavailable/costs more than a
> > motherboard?
>
> When that day arrives, I change to a different RAM.  A pretty common
> problem in embedded systems.  And it would have to be a *serious* problem
> before a RAM chip costs more than a motherboard!
>
> Remember, I'll *own* the design, which I intend to share with the LTSP
> community  but maintain responsibility for keeping up-to-date.  Switching
> chips will require just a phone call to the fab department.  Ditto for a
> schematic change.
>
> > IMHO there are two or three solutions:
> >
> > 1) Bog-standard motherboards eg micro atx etc that fit in a small
> >    fanless case and run slower than spec eg VIA EDEN
> >
> > 2) One of the many industrial SBCs, take your choice, pay the extra $$
> >    and have a convenient and easy solution.
> >
> > 3) The complete linux-ram-flash on a ram simm header.
>
> Right, except that, interestingly, none of these solutions really address
> the problems you anticipate I'll have to deal with.  At all.
>
> "Bog-standard" motherboards are a constant supply issue.  It doesn't make
> sense to constantly design-in a system that's always on the way out.
>
> Industrial SBCs are easy, but expensive.  LTSP is an extremely
> cost-sensitive application, why throw hardware in that isn't needed and
> simply costs more money?
>
> Complete Linux+RAM+Flash SIMM headers like you allude to are at the same
> risk of obsolete component selection as any other system.  Adopting them
> doesn't avoid that problem at all, it just moves it to someone else.
>
> > Despite the resources of a biggish UK company the Blue Chip boards were
> > a lot of cr**. They failed, had bios problems, had non-standard hardware
> > idio-synchrasies.
> > See Circuit Cellar http://www.circuitcellar.com who once-upon-a-time
> > made their own solution as you are planning.
>
> Hell, I've *written* for Circuit Cellar and I *still* can't find useful
> articles on their website!  But that's an entirely different rant...
>
> > IMHO do the project for fun, but don't spend munnie on it that you don't
> > want to lose.
>
> Nothing ventured, nothing lost (or gained).  I stand to lose, but all of
> LTSP's potential users who are locked out because of expensive hardware
> stand to gain.  I don't have a problem with taking that risk--- look at the
> reward!

> [...]

I just assembled a VIA Eden Thin Client (takes 15 minutes), here is the bill
of material:
=> MINI ITX ALL IN  MET VIA C3 533 MHZ FANLESS: EUR 99
=> Slim-line case black incl power supply: EUR 63
=> SDRAM 64 MB: EUR 14 (?)
Total price: EUR 176 for single piece; all materials on stock.

For 100+ count with 10-12% off, which brings you at EUR 160 (roughly US$ 160).

It is a beautiful design, compact, elegant, and absolutely NO fans needed. As
a matter of fact, I just put my hand on the cover and found that it was a
little luke; then found out that is because it is on top an of an old Digital
266 MHZ desktop PC (the LTSP-server) which is producing so much heath that
its actually being conveyed to the poor VIA Eden housing!

Wiliam, me too, I admire your "laudible" intentions, but thought to share
this info with you before you move ahead.

Good luck,

Z.