I'm trying to get my first workstation up using PXE/Etherboot and ltsp.
After stumling over a number of small issues I have gotten to the point
where Etherboot is loading the Linux kernel and appears to be NFS
mounting correctly. However, I hang on the message Warning: unable to
open an initial console

My original plan was to wait and deal with X after getting the basic
functionality to work. Someone on IRC suggested that it would easier
with X, So I have installed the X packages for SVGA and s3v (my card is
an AGP Virge).

My workstation is in hosts as WS136

My current lts.conf is attached below. I have tried runlevels 3 and 5
SVGA and S3V X servers....

I am still getting the same Warning: and a near system hang (I can ping
the workstations IP, but can do nothing useful)

The last message in my syslog before the warning is:rpc.mountd:
authenticated mount request from ws136:800 for /opt/ltsp/i386.1
(/opt/ltsp/i386.1)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

 more lts.conf
#
# Config file for the Linux Terminal Server Project (www.ltsp.org)
#

[Default]
        SERVER             = 192.168.1.104
        XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
        X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
        USE_XFS            = N
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        RUNLEVEL           = 5

#
# Example of specifying X settings for a workstation
#
[ws001]
        XSERVER            = auto
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 48m
        RUNLEVEL           = 5

[ws136]
        XSERVER            = XF86_S3V
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 64m
        RUNLEVEL           = 3
[ws002]
        XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 64m
        RUNLEVEL           = 3

#
# ws004 is my virtual workstation running in a VMware session
#
[ws004]
        DNS_SERVER         = 192.168.0.254

        DNS_SERVER         = 192.168.0.254
        XSERVER            = auto
        X4_BUSID           = "PCI:0:15:0"
        X_MODE_0           = 800x600
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 64m
        RUNLEVEL           = 5

#
# Example of a workstation configured to load some modules
#
#[ws001]
#    MODULE_01       = agpgart.o                # This is for i810 video
#    MODULE_02       = uart401.o
#    MODULE_03       = sb.o io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
#    MODULE_04       = opl3.o

#
# Example of ws001 configured for local apps
#

#[ws001]
#    LOCAL_APPS      = Y
#    LOCAL_WM        = Y
#    NIS_DOMAIN      = ltsp
#    NIS_SERVER      = 192.168.0.254

#
# Example of a serial printer attached to /dev/ttyS1 on workstation
ws001
#
#[ws001]
#    PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/ttyS1
#    PRINTER_0_TYPE     = S             # P-Parallel, S-Serial
#    PRINTER_0_PORT     = 9100          # tcp/ip port: defaults to 9100
#    PRINTER_0_SPEED    = 9600          # baud rate: defaults to 9600
#    PRINTER_0_FLOWCTRL = S             # Flow control: S-Software
(XON/XOFF),
#                                       # H-Hardware (CTS/RTS)
#    PRINTER_0_PARITY   = N             # Parity: N-None, E-Even, O-Odd
#                                       # (defaults to 'N')
#    PRINTER_0_DATABITS = 8             # Databits: 5,6,7,8 (defaults to
8)