If you are really serious about having the thin clients boot off the
Internet, I would also recommend a VPN connection between the offices.
 However, if you want to maintain any semblance of performance, you will
need to modify the thin client environment from a "pure" NFS mounted
root filesystem scenario to a purely RAMdisk root filesystem.  This
won't be that difficult, but the thin clients will possibly take a few
minutes to boot up depending on how much of the LTSP root filesystem you
package into the RAMdisk, especially if you want to run local
applications.  You will also only want to use VNC or lbxproxy or dxpc
protocols, instead of straight X protocol.  This is easily accomplished
by adding the vncviewer and a handful of other tools to the RAMdisk
image.  If you go with a RAMdisk image, you will need more memory in all
your thin clients.  Probably on the order of 96MB of RAM possibly 64MB
on the low end.  That should be enough space to allow X to run with a
VNC session and store the RAMdisk image completely in memory.  You will
not be able to take advantage of network swap space, although you would
be able to take advantage of local swap space if the thin clients have
hard drives (which you probably don't want).

Another scenario would be to have a full workstation in the remote
office that all the thin clients boot from, but configure the lts.conf
and the full workstation to use the other office's resources as their
login and application servers.

Ragnar Wisløff wrote:

>Sitat [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>

>>Hi All!
>>
>>I've got a request from an ASP, if it is possible to run an LTSP
>>over ADSL
>>or some kind of boradband internet connection?
>>Two things imediately popped into my mind and I could'nt give
>>

>hime
>

>>any good
>>answer:
>>
>>- how much bandwidth will such a solution use ?
>>

>Assuming you will use a graphical user interface, the higher end
>of standard ADSL just about works, say up to about 1 Mb/s in and
>384 kb/s out. There are techniques you could use to reduce X
>bandwidth, but then these are not standard LTSP. As far as I know
>LTSP is designed to be used in a LAN environment. X is a
>bandwidth hog, nothing like RDP or ICA, and the response would be
>bad. It's easy to try, set up any Linux server on one end (with
>plenty of bandwidth available to it), ssh into it and start up a
>graphical application. In my experience it's useable, but not
>good enough for serious work.
>

>>- What about security ?
>>

>Probably the most simple solution is to have a VPN connection.
>There were some questions by a Swedish team some weeks ago who
>looked like they were trying to get LTSP to work across a VPN,
>but I don't know if they were succesful (it should work, though).
>

>--
>Mvh Ragnar Wisløff
>For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net

believed to be clean.