On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:09:12AM -0700, Jim Rich wrote:
> As stated in the original question I have attempted to follow the
> abiwordfont.txt
> but I have the following problems with the 4 files that are to be changed:

No, you stated that you had

'tried the "standard solutions" on the Abiword web site but they do
not work or the files do not exist on a SuSe 8.0 install"'

The URI I gave points to the LTSP web site, not from the web site of
Abiword. You did not mention abiwordfont.txt in the post I responded
to.

> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 does not exist but /etc/X11/XF86Config does
> exist and changes could be made to this file if one ignores the
> line in the file that says  "VaX generated file"

This only concerns X on the server side, so it modifying it will not
help the clients. X 4 and higer uses /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by default,
earlier versions uses /etc/X11/XF86Config.

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs does not exist but /etc/init.d/xfs does exist
> but the abiwordfont.txt file said to change two lines that do not exist in
> this file

Those changes are only necessary if xfs is configured not to listen on
port 7100. To find out if yours is, run "netstat ap | grep font" If
the output contains 7100, like this one, xfs DOES already listen on
port 7100.

unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     38115950 /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100

If you need to change, /etc/init.d/xfs the file to edit.

> the only other xfs file I found was a binary file (executable)
>
> /etc/X11/fs/config and /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf files exist and could
> be changed as shown in the abiwordfont.txt file

Good.

> Restarting the X font server as stated in the abiwordfont.txt file did not
> work i.e.
>   service xfs stop
>   service xfs start
> error msg was :  service: command not found

If you don't know how to restart daemons on your system, a reboot will
have the same effect.

> Let me restate: I need someone who is running SuSe 8.0 and has Abiword
> running on the client to tell me which files were changed to get Abiword
> ( using the Abiword
> fonts ) to work.

Some understanding of the things at issue can hopefully compensate
for my lack of SuSe experiences, but no guarantees ;-)

--

Hans Ekbrand