On Monday, September 23, 2002 2:15 PM, Humaid, Abdallah A (TCCOD) wrote:
> Also we are trying to come up with reasons why you would want to run
> an LTSP setup in a large environment, other than cost savings. If you
> are aware of any source for possible LTSP applications in large
> environment I would appreciate it.

Hi Abdallah,

We're going to be running LTSP in runlevel 4 (ssh mode) to provide
access to some of our legacy UNIX systems for staff that _only_ use
these systems. The current setup is using very old workstations (DX4's
to P200's) with Win95 installs. They use commercial software for
terminal access. Apart from a lower TCO, LTSP should definately reduce
our IT helpdesk maintance and support to these systems. Bored admin
staff have a habit of deleting random sysfiles causing helpdesk
headaches. Also, bored admin staff have a habit of playing solitare. Not
any more ;).
Other points of interest to our exec board included the fact that
illegal software/mp3s isnt an issue with this (notoriously bad) section
of staff. Virus threats to the desktop are virtually eliminated as well.
Hope this helps,

Andrew
--
Andrew McKinney