Charles,
        I can answer some of your questions. I use ibm 220 series
netservers, 1GHz, 2 piii processors, 1 or 2GB memory. !GB is good enough
for about 30 stations. i have a mix of clients: Jammin-125 (22 of those),
ThinkNIC (59), and "home built" VIA based fanless boxes.
        Jammins are very nice, (btw, they have 32MB memory and no NFS swap
is necessary). the graphics on ThinkNICs are rather sucky but using XVESA
fixes the fuzzy font problem. they work well for character apps and for
occasional browsing - i use them in the warehouses. the VIA boxes are
bigger than Jammins, but otherwise seem to be just as good (longevity will
show up eventually ;-)).  i have currently 42 of them and 30 more on
order. All of those terminals work at the same speed, that is to say, they
are fast enough to do X at the network speed.
        Network is *very* important. i use 100TX switched and i'm thinking
of going 1000TX for the server interconnects. for the time being the speed
is fine and netwok is not bottlenecked, but i am going to add 150 thin
stations soon. my set up is running in multiple locations, the highest
number of stations on 1 server is currently 34. judging by top, it can
easily grow to 50 within 2GB memory.
        your server might be a bit of overkill, but the worker bees will
love it.
        if you can run all the apps you need on a linux server, you should
go with the ltsp setup (check out k12osn). it is very cost effective and
fun to play with. julius