--- Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for your detail information.
>
> On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 22:04, James Jensen wrote:
> >
> > Basically the idea is to combine the processing power of all the idle
> CPU
> > cycles on the client terminals (since all they are doing is running
> > Xwindows or a shell if you set them to boot at runlevel 3) with the
> server.
> >  Kind of similar to having a really big multi-processor SMP box
>
> Noted.
>
> > In an LTSP environment where the clients use Xwindows there is concern
> > about openMosix adding overhead on the network bandwidth (and slowing
> > things down) as the processes from the server migrate to the various
> > clients.  (Something to watch out for.)  So this concept may or may not
> > prove useful *depenging on your circumstances*.  But, hey, it's a
> really
> > fast and easy way to build a clustered system. ("Try doing *that* with
> > windows!" as I like to say...)
>
> Can openMosix work on Windows.  Any pointer?

No.  openMosix is a kernel patch of Linux.  It cannot be used for windows,
and I'm absolutely positive that the developers will never port anything
like it for windows.  Sorry.

> > In the past builiding a clustered system has been more difficult, and I
> > daresay that until openMosix came along I doubt there were too many
> home
> > clusters out there for the hobbyist.  openMosix combined with LTSP
> really
> > "opens" up a whole new world for administrators and/or hobbyists..
>
> Noted
>
> > - snip -
> > (so you don't have client A running
> > Xwindows for client B--that wouldn't be a good thing).
>
> Could you please explain "client A running Xwindows for client B"

In a typical LTSP setting where the users are running Xwindows, that is
about the only thing that *is* running on the client computers.  With the
echo 1 > /proc/hpc/admin/lstay line implemented in the How-To, this keeps
all client processes (Xwindows) from migrating.  They stay put.  Your
client PC runs your Xwindows session.  This is a good thing.  If your
Xwindows processes were to migrate to another user's PC and they turn their
machine off, your Xwindows session would very likely (almost positively)
hang.

> Thanks

Thanks for your interest!  I hope you have success implementing the How-To.
 It will not only get you going in clustering but help you learn about the
process of compiling custom kernels (if you haven't been there yet).
Enjoy!