I have set up an old machine of mine (a P133 with 64MEG of RAM) to be an LTSP workstation. I have decided to run icewm on the workstation because it seems to run lean on my machine. However, I would like the capability to have icons on my desktop. Hence my hunt for a linux file manager.

I have tired Rox, DFM, KFM and Nautilus on my machine.

My original problem was that when I ran the file manager (I would start it up from my .xession file - for example one line in the file would by /usr/local/bin/dfm &) was that when I opened up a window on the desktop I would get pixel corruption in the form on part of the window remaining visible on the desktop even though I already closed the window.

After much trial and error I determined that there was a problem with the hardware acceleration on my video card (it is an S3 Virge DX video card). Thus I set up my lts.conf file so that Hardware Acceleration would be shut off, Shadow FB would be turned on and several other acceleration related features would be shut off. My
lts.conf file looks like this:

[Default]

SERVER = 192.33.61.1
XSERVER = auto
X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL = "PS/2"
X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/psaux"
X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
X_MOUSE_BUTTONS = 3
USE_XFS = N
LOCAL_APPS = N
RUNLEVEL = 5
NIS_DOMAIN = res.nis
NIS_SERVER = 192.33.61.1

[prlinux]
XSERVER = "s3virge"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_01 = "ShadowFB" "on"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_02 = "XaaNoSolidBresenhamLine"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_03 = "XaaNoSolidFillRect"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_04 = "XaaNoSolidFillTrap"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_05 = "XaaNoSolidHorVertLine"
X_DEVICE_OPTION_06 = "XaaNoSolidTwoPointLine"
X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL = "Microsoft"
X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/ttyS0"
X_MOUSE_BUTTONS = 2
LOCAL_APPS = N
USE_NFS_SWAP = Y
SWAPFILE_SIZE = 64m

With this set up I was able to get rid of the pixel corruption. However, now, with any file manager I use,
when I write click in the file manager and try to
change the icon for desktop program or whenever I move
a scroll bar in the window opened by the right mouse
click, my screen goes blank (either all white or all one color like blue) and the only thing I can do is to reboot the system.

I thought that my settings in the LTS.CONF file where screwing things up. So I started turned off all the device option setting above and tried running the file manager. When I did this the pixel corruption reappeared when I opened a window and tried to move the window around the desktop and the screen blowing up and going blank after right clicking also still occurred.

Thus, at this point I am at wits end. I am hoping someone can help. Frankly, it should not be this hard to set up an LTSP workstation and get something as basic as icons on the desktop working properly.

Peter

Peter Resciniti
404-307-8105 - cell
404-325-1711 - home