Hello,

I think it may have been late or there is some confusion on your RAID
levels..

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:00, Bruce wrote:
> From the way you have phraised it, it doesn't sound like you are running it
> in RAID-0 mode but in JBOD mode or Just a bunch of drives. thus two 40gig
> drives become 80 gigs.

Combining two or more disks together to seemingly create one large disk
drive is RAID-0. This is sometimes called JBOD mode. The data is written
in stripes, with each block possibly written to a different drive. You
get no redundancy with this level.

> RAID-0 mode of two 40 gig hard drives means that you have 40 gigs of hard
> drive space but the information on each drive mirrors the other and both
> have MBR masterboot record where a software raid-0 if the MBR is distroyed
> your out of luck.

What you describe above is mirroring and is RAID-1. Data is written to
both disks which provides redundancy should one disk fail.

Hope that helps clear it up.

Casey